Who We Carry film premiere party by Rejoice Diaspora Dance Theatre
The Cascade Festival of African Films & Portland Institute of Contemporary Art present Who We Carry, a film release and dance party with DJ Floyd Vader. Featuring the newest release by Rejoice! Diaspora Dance Theater preceded by a short film selection by the Cascade Festival of African Films.
- Date: October 10, 2021
- Door and dance party: 7:30 pm
- Film: 8pm
- Cost: Free
- Live and virtual premiere ticket reservations: Order online
- Location: In-person, location released 24 hours in advance
“We call on these traditional ring shout practices to help us move forward. From this Black-centric knowledge, we create and manifest our own healing, process of mourning, and strengthening our community in the Pacific Northwest. This is where we depart from tradition and imagine Afro Futuristically.” — Oluyinka Akinjiola, Artistic Director
Rejoice! Diaspora Dance Theater’s newest dance film, Who We Carry, is a three-part journey of ancestral roots in the Ring Shout traditions of the Gullah Geechee, Yoruba Orishas in the African Diaspora, and lands in the Pacific Northwest. Who We Carry transforms grief and loss during the COVID-19 pandemic into an opportunity to reclaim our power. With labor, gratitude, love, and power, we become our intimate visions for the future. Co-produced by Rejoice! Diaspora Dance Theater and Portland Playhouse and Elijah Hasan Film.
Film credits and funding
Funding and support from the Collins Foundation, Oregon Cultural Trust, Oregon Community Foundation, the Portland Institute of Contemporary Art, Regional Arts and Culture Council, and Ronni LaCroute.
- Co-production: Rejoice! Diaspora Dance Theater & Portland Playhouse
- Director and filmmaker: Elijah Hasan
- Artistic director: Oluyinka Akinjiola
- Composer: Michael Galen
- Choreographers and performers: Oluyinka Akinjiola (and Dami Allen Slizewski), Malik Delgado, Bethany Harvey (and Baby Harvey), Michael Galen, Jamie Minkus, and Decimus Yarbrough
- Vocalists: Shalanda Sims and Habiba Addo
- Costume design: Jamie Minkus
- Prop design: Bethany Harvey
- Lighting design and technical direction: Thyra Hartshorn
- Introduction and Ring Shout Scholar: Tamara LaDonna Williams (Ifákẹ́mi Ṣàngóbámkẹ́ Moṣebọ́látán)